Saturday, September 8, 2007

Mac Screen Capture

There haven't been any posts in two days, so I thought I better help keep this blog alive...

In Gnome, to do a screen capture, you press the Print Screen key. On a mac, Cmd-Shift-4, which I can never remember and have to google every time. (You can also select a portion of the screen with Cmd-Shift-3). On my MacBook, there are five function keys with empty special features (F8 - F12)...couldn't they put a screen capture key on there (to be activated with the Fn key)? I'm sure I could remap my keyboard, but this is a useful activity that I think a lot of users would benefit from having a default, easy to use/remember way to do it.

2 comments:

Steve said...

On the mac I'm a big fan of skitch. Since I usually need to trim and/or highlight something. Then I can drag it into email/to disk/whatever. You can also capture from a webcam if you have one hooked up (or a built-in isight).

Roger said...

Interesting point you make about what a mac should do by default. There's a bunch of little annoyances that are defaulted to something that I personally find annoying. On Friday I was continuing to complain about the iTunes and how it wants to keep things in a library. Of course I'm told that's just an option I can uncheck.

The mac ecosystem means I'm willing to be happy with AAC or lossless AAC and accept Gracenote's categorization of my music or accept ipods or macs as the epitome of audio reproduction.

I suppose as in all things there's no free lunch.