Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Healthcare Reform

I've read lots of stuff on this subject and the only conclusion I've really drawn is that the status quo doesn't cut it. In summary my views are,

  1. Everyone should be able to get healthcare
  2. Choice in insurance is good
  3. Insurance should not be tied to your employment
I believe we can and should take care of people when they get sick. It just seems wrong to me that people have to die and suffer because they gambled on not needing insurance or they just can't afford it.

It should be obvious that choice is good.

This last point is important to me because it's one more thing that keeps people where they shouldn't be. It's completely at odds with "at-will" employment. Finally, it really limits the competitiveness of legacy companies like GM and even quasi-governmental CTA.

In a review of presidential perspectives on healthcare, in this Sunday's times, none of the 3 top candidates of either party have proposals to satisfy my 3 top requirements. I'm bummed out that it probably won't get any better than the status quo.

3 comments:

p@rick said...

I could go on forever about the inanity of our healthcare. I just wrote a check for $1250 for three months health insurance. It only covers hospital visits and prescriptions. I haven't been to the doctor since getting this insurance since I have to pay out of pocket just for a checkup. This is the cheapest option I have in New York. As a one-person company, I can't sign up for a health savings account. Anything like an HMO is a lot more...If I had a business partner or an employee, it gets cheaper, for some reason, even if I don't insure them.

The good thing is that in NY state, they can't deny anyone coverage by law. But this makes the premiums higher...

I'll stop for now...

Roger said...

So what do you think of my three expectations?

p@rick said...

They are completely reasonable and it is sad and disgusting that they have to be expectations and not the status quo.