Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Bonafide Plan to Improve the World

I deal with a lot of contracts. In my last one I reviewed I spent 25% of the time stating the things I wanted and the other 75% pouring over the clauses to make sure it was consistent and to try to catch the holes. I just know that their are still ambiguity that I didn't intend that if things went south, I could be screwed by.

What if there were a DSL for contracts? With this we could test the contract for logical consistency, highlight the ambiguity, and eventually compile it into different styles of legalese.

And this is where we improve the world. Once people start using this widely, we would need significantly less corporate lawyers. Productivity would boom because people wouldn't waste their time reading the same sentence 20 times to figure out what it really means, and arbitration could be handled by code.

No comments: