Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Do you sign your credit card?

So continuing my theme of things that bother me, let me ask this question. But first the drawn out setup...

I went to the post office to mail a package to my in-law. The post office worker in question I've dealt with in the past is just a pain to be a pain.

She puts the package on the scale, I pick a shipping option, and I hand her my American Express card. She hands it back and says she can't take it 'cause I need to sign it.

Now, things to note here are:
1) my picture is on the card
2) she would take the card if I signed it then and there

Which leads me to ask, do I really need to sign this thing? What's the point? What does that prove beyond my picture for identity? Any what would signing it in front of her have really have accomplished?

So confused by what has just transpired, I hand over my Visa card (which is signed), and she runs the transaction.

The gee-wiz of the story? I didn't have to sign for the purchase.

Zoinks!

2 comments:

p@rick said...

I love when I go to the bank to deposit checks for my business they often ask me "Are you the signer on this account?"

a) They have already put my account number into their computer. Presumably the account details screen shows who the signer(s) are.

b) They have a slip with my name on it.

c) They have my signature on the back of the check and the "Deposit only" account number.

Regardless of all that, as soon as I say yes, they go ahead and accept the deposit without asking for any identification.

But as far as credit cards go, it seems like more places (FedEx stores come to mind) aren't even asking for signatures. Signatures eem pointless to me since you can buy whatever you want online or over the phone without a signature.

Roger said...

I sign my cards because I don't like confrontation. On the other hand, they never ask me for my credit card at whole foods even though the swipe machine says please give card to cashier.