Monday, January 14, 2008

Obsolete Computer Disposal

I have a bunch of these things sitting in my house. They gather dust in the den.

Here's what I've thought of,

  1. Let them continue to gather dust. Even when they are off, they still seem to gather dust pretty well. At my dad's house there's still a PCjr sitting in the garage. Maybe the Microsoft 128K sidecar with original mouse will have collectors value?
  2. Turn the old laptop (200Mhz) into a digital picture frame. I spent about 6 hours getting an OS (Damn Small Linux) installed on it. Wireless (802.11b) too! Then I used it for 30 minutes before my wife asked me why.
  3. Ebay - the whole posting and shipping seems like a lot of work.
  4. Craigslist - I'm not sure I want all these people in my house.
  5. Recycle - Since these computers actually work, seems like a waste.
  6. Donate the whole lot to FreeGeekChicago and take the lazy way out. Maybe it's sassy if I donate some time along with the hardware?
What do you guys do?

2 comments:

p@rick said...

I hold onto mine in hopes that they will make it into the MoMA's permanent collection.

I'm doing pretty well so far: Thinkpad 701CS, original iPod, and I was just there and saw that another unplugged computer in my closet has made it: the second generation iMac (half-sphere base, aluminum arm, lcd display).

Still waiting on the Toshiba Libretto, HP 200LX...

Michael said...

I vote for donate or recycle. If you truly believe the computers have value then donate. Otherwise you should recycle them. Maybe when you have more time on your hands you can become the Ebay huckster you've always wanted to be, but not now.